Facebook

Town of Stonewall

 

A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE



 
 
Town of Stonewall
Stonewall Town Hall is located inside the:
DeSoto Parish Sheriff's Government Plaza
Physical Address: 1746 U.S. HWY 171      Mailing Address: P.O. Box 92
Stonewall, Louisiana 71078
Phone (318) 925-9338   
Fax (318) 925-9339
Ken Kaffka, Mayor: mayor@thetownofstonewall.com
Shree' Young, Town Clerk: townclerk@thetownofstonewall.com
Michael Clark, Code Enforcement: codeenforcement@thetownofstonewall.com
Barbara O'Brien, Deputy Clerk: townhall@thetownofstonewall.com

 

We're Proud to be Your Neighbor!

   Welcome to the Town of Stonewall, DeSoto Parish, Louisiana, located six miles south of Shreveport, La. and West of Interstate 49.  Stonewall is one of the fastest growing communities in DeSoto Parish.  We are the center for truly wonderful family fun.
  
   Our area home has a large community park with 4 community buildings that are used for family reunions, birthday parties, wedding receptions, and much more.  State of the art playground equipment for the children, walking path, fruit trees, and a baseball diamond is also available at our park.
  
   You will love shopping at our friendly local businesses.  If you're feeling hungry then stop by one of our local restaurants or convenience stores for some great food.
  
   So whether you're are up for just a day trip or looking to relocate, we're sure that you'll agree when we say STONEWALL IS A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE!!!!


Stonewall Town History 
 
  The first settlers came to the Stonewall area in the early 1830’s. Colonel Edwards moved his family and possessions from Society Hill, South Carolina to a place they named the Bee Gum Community. This is approximately three miles east of the present Town of Stonewall.
 
  Sometime later, friends of Colonel Edwards moved to the North DeSoto Area. Among these were the Witherspoons, Marshalls, Hollembeaks, and others. The women came in carriages, the men on horses while their belongings were brought in wagons drawn by oxen and mules. The slaves followed with the livestock.
 
  After building homes and beginning a farmer’s life, more provisions were needed. They were ordered from New Orleans and reached Shreve’s Port on the Red River. It took time to get to Shreve’s Port in those days. They went by wagons over the rough, muddy roads or paths, reaching Shreve’s Port after a whole day's travel. These trips were not made often.
 
  Soon many families from other communities and states came to make their homes here. Some of the families that have done much toward the building of this community are Williamson, Powell, Andrews, Loftus, Nicholson, Berry, Gilmer, Lafitte, Hall, and many others.
 
  Black Jack, the first Post Office of the Bee Gum Community, as it was then called, was used in the 1860’s. It was located near Welcome Hall, the home of Colonel Edwards. Mail came very irregularly. Later the Star Route Mail came into existence and ran once or twice a week. The route ran from Shreve’s Port to Spring Ridge, Stonewall, Kingston, and on to Mansfield.
 
  In 1862, the community moved its center about three miles west to the site of the new Texas & Pacific Railroad. The community was given its present name when the railroad stop was named after the legendary Civil War General, Stonewall Jackson.
 
  Cotton was king in those days and several sizable plantations ringed the Stonewall area. Some of these were Buena Vista, Allendale, Lands End, and Welcome Hall.
 
  A supplemental industry to cotton had its meager beginning in 1886 when Mrs. J.J. Marshall bought a registered Jersey cow. From this beginning grew a thriving dairy business that blossomed in the early 1900’s. By 1943 there were 37 individual dairies in the community of Stonewall.
 
  Stonewall remained a dairy and farming community until the 1960’s when people began to realize its proximity to Shreveport, its friendly industries people, and its progressive educational system. The town would soon become a bedroom community to Shreveport.
 
  Stonewall is located on a modern four-lane highway, Highway 171 in North DeSoto Parish, and only six miles from Shreveport. Interstate 49 is located approximately a mile and a half east of the Stonewall city limits. Highway 171 was first graveled in 1916 and ran from Shreveport to Mansfield. It was built partially by convict labor. The road was paved in the 1930’s.
 
  During 1971, a group of Stonewall citizens met and petitioned the Governor to incorporate Stonewall as a village. The town was incorporated on July 12, 1972. Mr. Bob Midyett was appointed by the Governor to be the first Mayor of Stonewall. Aldermen were: Bobby Dyson, Gerald Holmes, and Charles Scott. Tax Collector A. L. Bice, Street Commissioner was Curtis McCune Jr., City Marshall was Elmo Smith, Attorney was Charles Scott and Town Clerk was Dudley Glenn. Stonewall was declared a Town by the Governor of Louisiana in July 1983.
 
  The first official election was in the spring of 1974. Curtis L. McCune Jr. was elected Mayor and all other elected officials remained the same.
 
  The Town Meetings were first held at the First National Bank building in Stonewall. Later they were moved to the school cafeteria to have more room. In December 1974, the Cox & Hall building was purchased and remodeled for the Town Hall. This was later sold to the DeSoto Parish Library and is presently being used for that purpose. The present Town Hall, located approximately one-fourth mile north of the first Town Hall, was purchased in July 1983. It has served at various times as the Fire Department Office, Voting Polls, Town Hall, and General Meeting Place for the citizens of Stonewall. Part of the Town Hall is being used by the DeSoto Parish Sheriff’s Office as a Substation. This Substation is the first of its kind in DeSoto Parish. The Sheriff’s Substation opened Tuesday, March 14, 1995.
 
  Stonewall grew from 532 population in 1972 to over 1,000 in 1983. As of May 1995, the population was 1,500. 1998’s population was 1626 and as of July 1, 2008, the population is estimated to be 2,423.